So, today is the day before I leave for spring break and I’m kind of freaking out a bit. On one hand, I cannot wait to be in my house with my dog, Biggie Smalls, and homemade chicken noodle soup. On the other hand, I know that this is the bottom of the ninth with two outs for the Senior Suttons (my AAA t-ball team, obviously) and it’s making me sad. When I get back from spring break, graduation will be an imminent and scary reality. In fact, it’s already getting pretty scary: yesterday I had my first intensely adult-person interview, complete with blazer (instead of cardigan) and leather tote (instead of my Billy Backpack)* and today I am having lunch with my favorite first-year(s) and I can’t help but think about how unfair the universe is for catapulting more and more awesome people into my life so late into this college game (okay, the baseball analogy is done).
Now, there’s gonna be plenty of time for panic blogging after break (EXCEPT NOT REALLY, ONLY 6 WEEKS, THEN THEY’RE KICKING ME OUT…alright, that’s out of my system), so instead, let’s focus on the two weeks ahead of me. Despite the fact that I sort of think that separating me from my peers for two weeks when I have less than two months at Kenyon is mean and unfair, I am looking forward to having a break from school and work and walking to dinner in the snow. I also recently realized that my two week “vacation” to the scenic and exotic island of Western Massachusetts will likely be one of my last trips there for a while (fingers crossed). So that means I gotta live it up! I gotta do all the things on my Wmass Bucket List! Whoops, I don’t have one of those! Time to make one!
Wmass Bucket List (or: things to do at home-home when away from Kenyon-home):
-Catch up on Downton Abbey (this is not Wmass specific except for that my mom keeps getting frustrated that I can’t watch Season 3 with her cause I haven’t finished Season 2)
-Go walking at Ashley Reservoir with my mom and her friends and participate in their gossiping as well as totally empathizing with them when they complain about their husbands and kids. This is actually one of my favorite things about home.
- Go to Northampton:
- 1. Eat Tamales at my favorite restaurant in the WORLD, La Vera Cruzana,
- 2. Go to all the record/book stores where the employees act like the guys from High Fidelity (they’re obviously pretty nerdy and lame but act very snobby and superior- it’s not quite as endearing as when John Cusack does it),
- 3. Buy a novelty weird thing at Faces/ get a tattoo or piercing at Lucky’s (JUST KIDDING MOM),
- 4. Then finally, go to Herrell’s and get my “usual:” Banana ice cream with a Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup Mix-In.
-Sit around being weird with my friends (GET READY LIZ AND ANNA)
-Go to the overpriced Rave Motion Pictures theater and see some corny movie and regret it not at all
-Hang out in cool kid places like the Starbucks in the Holyoke Barnes and Noble
- Have my kid sister, Rosie, teach me how to be less of a nerd (pretty sure it involves selfies and rap music…)
- Avoid freaking out about the future by getting caught in Biggie Small’s eyes and investing myself too much in the lives of the characters on Nashville
-Sleep til noon, wake up, drink coffee and watch Summer Heights High then decide to be “productive” by taking a shower at like 3 p.m.
Sounds like a great break, dontcha think? Yeah me too.
*Thank you to Mary and Faith for lending me said blazer and tote. Of course I'm not legit enough to own either.